Friday 14 November 2014

Battle of the Christmas ads 2014

So you are sitting there, by the fire, toasting your little toes as you unwind in front of the TV after a long day. You're probably anticipating Christmas (as I always feel round about November), eager I know but its the most wonderful time of the year. Christmas is just within reach and that my friends is an exciting statement.

So back to the image of toasting your little toes by the fire in front of the TV...you see for the very first time, the advert you have been waiting for.

The Christmas John Lewis advert.

It's been the ad on everyone's lips this season. Last year's bear and the hare advert saw many of us clasp our hands in that very 'awww' moment, which truly had us feeling that warmth and emotion that Christmas should bring and we all looked forward to experiencing the same festive sensations this year from John Lewis.

Doe this years Monty the penguin advert give the same effect or live up to expectations? To me, I love it because it is cute and to be quite frank, funny. What's funnier than a penguin waddling? It doesn't give me the same emotions as last year but nevertheless it put a smile on my face and that's good enough for me! It has been noted to have received 2.5 million views in less than 12 hours and set to surpass the success of last years ad but don't take my word for it...

Take a look for yourself.

Watch me

Sainsburys is competing and running in line with the best Christmas adverts out there, bringing the past to the present as we re-live the history of the one of the most moving moments of World War I.  The trench scenes of the war were reconstructed and the famous 'truce' between the British and German soldiers was recreated.

The ad is truly touching. It not only brings the poignant historic moment to the forefront of the media, but it does it with respect and authenticity. When the soldiers are only metres from each other in the midst of the battle, they agree to stop for a game of football, knowing that following this, they will go on to fight one another. It's heart-breaking.
In the Christmas advert, after the game of football, the British soldier secretly slips a gift into the pocket of a German soldier who later unwraps it to find a chocolate bar when he returns to his side of the battlefield.

Sainsbury's message; Christmas is for sharing.

Within a few short minutes, the emotional depth conveyed is astonishing. But this ad hasn't just portrayed beautiful cinematography to the public, it has dragged along with it, controversy too. The advert fails to represent the true living conditions of the trenches, failing to show the blood and entrails and the reality of the War.

Is it disrespectful to neglect such significant details?

For some this may be the case and it is important to acknowledge these opinions. However, I disagree. It was one of the most beautiful moments within one of the most horrific periods in history. The Royal British Legion worked in partnership with Sainsburys to reconstruct such a time and produce a powerful message that Christmas is all about sharing (as we sometimes forget) and this is all that we should take from it.

Watch the advert! My mum shed tears!

Watch me


And to end on a lighter note...

My favourite advert this Christmas is for Marks and Spencers. Spread a little magic and sparkle. I absolutely love Christmas. It's the most wonderful time of the year. (and what's more magical than fairies?)

"I BELIEVE IN FAIRIES"
and I also believe in Santa. hint hint. (I'll leave you out an extra mince pie Santa, I promise).

Watch the Marks and Spencer's Christmas advert for a little touch of sparkle!

Watch me

Hope you are enjoying the lead up to Christmas... I know I am xxxx

What's your favourite Christmas TV ad of 2014?



No comments:

Post a Comment